The letter Y is the twenty-fifth letter of the English alphabet. Here is a list of foods that begin with the letter Y, along with their definitions.
Common Foods Beginning with Y
- Yam: A starchy tuber that grows in tropical and temperate climates.
- Yeast: A microorganism commonly used to leaven bread and make alcoholic beverages.
- Yellow Squash: A summer squash with yellow fruits with long necks.
- Yogurt: A thick, creamy, fermented milk product.
- Yolk: The yellow part of an egg.
- Yuca: A tropical plant with starchy, edible roots.
British Foods Beginning with Y
- Yorkshire Pudding: A baked pudding made from batter and served with roast beef and gravy.
Oriental Foods Beginning with Y
- Yangzhou Fried Rice: [Chinese] A wok-fried rice dish containing pork, chicken or shrimp mixed with vegetables.
- Yum Woon Sen: [Thai] A glass noodles dish consisting of dried shrimp, fish sauce, onions, peanuts, celery, garlic and chili pepper.
African Foods Beginning with Y
- Yassa: [West African] A dish of marinated chicken or fish cooked with onions and lemon juice.