The letter P is the sixteenth letter of the English alphabet. Here is a list of foods that begin with the letter P, along with their definitions.
Common Foods Beginning with P
- Pancake: A thin cake of flour and eggs, usually fried.
- Papaya: The fruit of a tropical American tree, having a large edible yellow and greenish-yellow fruit containing several seeds.
- Paprika: A ground powder made from the dried pods of sweet red peppers. It is used to flavor many dishes, especially soups, stews, and meats.
- Parsley: A common herb used for flavoring or garnish.
- Parsnip: A perennial plant of the carrot family, grown for its thick, white root.
- Passion Fruit: A small tropical fruit with a distinct tangy flavor.
- Pasta: A general term for foods made from dough of flour and water that is rolled out and cut into thin, flat strips before being cooked.
- Pastrami: A type of meat very similar to corned beef, cured with aromatic spices.
- Pastry: A food containing a filling that is baked in the oven.
- Patty: A ground mixture of meat and vegetables usually used for sandwiches.
- Pea: A small, green vegetable.
- Peach: A juicy fruit with a smooth skin.
- Peanut: A legume grown for its oil-rich nuts.
- Peanut Butter: A paste made by crushing peanuts into a butter-like consistency.
- Pear: A juicy fruit, sweet but tart, with a rough skin.
- Pecan: A type of nut.
- Pepper: A spicy fruit.
- Pepperoni: A kind of sausage made from pork and beef.
- Persimmon: A type of fruit with reddish-orange flesh.
- Pickle: A vegetable preserved in a solution of spices, vinegar, brine, or alcohol.
- Pie: A baked dish made with a pastry crust and filling.
- Pineapple: A tropical fruit with yellow, edible flesh and a prickly exterior.
- Pizza: A baked flat, round bread with sauce and cheese.
- Plantains: A large tropical fruit resembling a banana.
- Plum: A juicy fruit with a smooth skin.
- Pomegranate: A fruit with red, edible seeds.
- Pomelo: A large, round citrus fruit.
- Popcorn: A small thin piece of corn that pops when heated in oil.
- Popsicle: An iced candy, often made with fruit juices.
- Pork: The meat of domestic swine, it varies in taste and quality depending on the breed, feeding, and environment of the animal.
- Potato: A starchy tuberous vegetable.
- Potato Wedges: Sliced potatoes that are fried or baked until they curl at the ends.
- Prawn Cocktail: An appetizer made from shrimp in a cocktail sauce.
- Prune: A dried plum.
- Pudding: A food, usually sweet, made by mixing and cooking a thickened mixture of milk or cream with eggs and other ingredients.
- Pumpernickel: A type of bread made from rye.
- Pumpkin: A type of winter squash.
European Foods Beginning with P
- Panna Cotta: [Italian] A soft, creamy, gelatin-based dessert
- Parmigiana: [Italian] A layered casserole of cheese and tomato sauce with breaded and fried eggplant and meat
- Pâté: A spread usually made with a cooked meat, fat and/or herbs.
- Pesto: [Italian] A sauce made from crushed basil leaves, mixed with olive oil, nuts, and garlic.
- Pretzel: [German] A type of baked pastry, usually shaped like a knot.
- Profiterole: [French] A small choux pastry filled with cream or ice cream.
Mexican Foods Beginning with P
- Pan Dulce: A sweet bread used for pastries.
Indian Foods Beginning with P
- Pakora: Deep-fried fritters, often made with vegetables and spices.
- Paneer: A semi-soft cheese made from curdled milk, pressed and mixed with cumin and other spices.
- Papadum: A thin, unleavened flatbread made from lentils or chickpea flour.
- Paratha: A flatbread cooked on a tava.
- Pilaf: A rice dish cooked with meat or vegetables.
Oriental Foods Beginning with P
- Pad Thai: [Thai] A stir-fried noodle dish, made with Thai rice noodles, tofu, eggs, bean sprouts, onions and garlic. Served with ground peanuts on the side.
- Panaeng: [Thai] A red curry dish consisting of meat cooked in a coconut cream based sauce.
- Peking Duck: [Chinese] Duck marinated in a mixture of soy sauce, hoisin sauce, five spice powder and rice wine, roasted over an open flame and served in pancakes.
Middle Eastern Foods Beginning with P
- Pita Bread: A flatbread made from flour and water, usually leavened with yeast. It is eaten most commonly with dishes such as falafel.
African Foods Beginning with P
- Peppersoup: [West African] A light soup made from various meats, calabash nutmeg and chilli peppers.
- Plakali: [Ghanian] A staple food made from cassava dough cooked in water.