The letter M is the thirteenth letter of the English alphabet. Here is a list of foods that begin with the letter M, along with their definitions.
Common Foods Beginning with M
- Macaroni: A type of pasta with a tubular shape.
- Macaroon: A small sweet confection made with coconut, almonds, or a similar nut.
- Maize: Another term for corn.
- Malanga: A starchy plant that is a staple in some tropical countries.
- Malt: Grain that is dried to increase its sugar content, which is then used in the brewing of beer and whiskey.
- Mandarin Orange: A sweet orange with a loose skin.
- Mango: A tropical fruit with a sweet, succulent flesh.
- Maple Syrup: The liquid that is tapped from the maple tree.
- Margarine: A butter substitute that is made of vegetable oils.
- Marionberry: A berry that is native to Oregon and is a cross between two blackberry hybrids.
- Marmalade: A fruit preserve made from the juices of several citrus fruits.
- Marmite: A spread made from yeast extract.
- Marshmallow: A confection made of sugar, starch, gelatin, and/or egg white.
- Mashed Potatoes: Potatoes that have been boiled and mashed.
- Mayonnaise: A sauce made from egg yolks, vegetable oil, vinegar or lemon juice, and seasonings.
- Meat: Edible animal flesh including beef, lamb, pork, poultry, or fish.
- Meatball: A small round ball of minced meat that is cooked.
- Meatloaf: A mixture of ground meat and other ingredients baked into a loaf shape.
- Melon: A fruit that is similar to a squash, but is sweet and juicy.
- Meringue: A confection made of egg whites, sugar, and sometimes water or fruit purée.
- Milk: The liquid that comes from the mammary glands of mammals.
- Milkshake: A blended liquid that includes milk, ice cream, and various flavored syrups.
- Millet: A cereal that is used in cooking and for animal feed.
- Minced meat: Grounded meat.
- Mint: A leafy herb that is used in cooking and for medicinal purposes.
- Molasses: The thick syrup left over from the boiling of sugar canes.
- Mozzarella: A soft white cheese made from curdled milk.
- Muffin: A small cake that is usually baked in a cup shape.
- Muffuletta: A round, flat Italian sandwich that is filled with salami, ham, and other meats, cheese and olives.
- Mulberries: A sweet fruit that is produced on the mulberry plant.
- Mushroom: A type of edible fungus.
- Mussels: A shellfish from the family of bivalves.
- Mustard: A strong yellow sauce made from ground mustard seeds.
- Mutton: Meat that comes from a mature sheep.
European Foods Beginning with M
- Minestrone: A thick soup that is usually named after its main ingredient.
- Mousse: A dessert made from whipped ingredients such as eggs, cream, and/or fruit.
Mexican Foods Beginning with M
- Menudo: A traditional soup made with tripe, hominy, salsa and salt.
- Mole Sauce: A thick, spicy sauce that is made with dried chiles, sesame seeds, onions and other spices.
Indian Foods Beginning with M
- Madras Curry: A hot, red curry with heavy use of chili powder.
- Mulligatawny: A hearty soup of vegetables and spices.
Oriental Foods Beginning with M
- Mapo Tofu: [Chinese] A dish made by stir-frying tofu and ground meat with fermented black bean paste.
- Massaman Curry: [Thai] A mild curry with chicken, potatoes, ground peanuts and coconut milk.
- Miso: [Japanese] A fermented soybean paste.
- Mochi: [Japanese] A type of sticky rice cake.
- Moon Cake: [Chinese] A round pastry with a sweet filling.
- Mu Shu Pork: [Chinese] A dish of pork served in a thick sauce that is wrapped in pancakes and served with vegetables.
Middle Eastern Foods Beginning with M
- Maqluba: A dish where meat or vegetables are cooked with rice in a pot, which is flipped upside-down when served.
African Foods Beginning with M
- Maafe: [West African] A spicy peanut stew made with beef, potatoes and carrots.
- Mala Mogodu: [South African] A stew made from tripe.
- Malva Pudding: [South African] A fruit pudding made with apricot jam and served with custard.
- Mandazi: [Ethiopian] A type of fried bread.
- Marghi Special: [Nigerian] A stewed dish made of vegetables and fish.
- Mbongo Tchobi: [Cameroonian] A spicy black stew made from okra.
- Mealie Bread: [South African] A type of sweet bread baked with creamed corn.
- Moambe chicken: [Central African] A chicken dish cooked in palm butter and spinach.
- Moin Moin: [Nigerian] A steamed bean pudding.
- Mugoyo: [Ugandan] A dish made from a mixture of sweet potatoes and kidney beans.