The letter H is the eighth letter of the English alphabet. Here is a list of foods that begin with the letter H, along with their definitions.
Common Foods Beginning with H
- Halibut: A fish found in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans and various lakes.
- Ham: The cured meat from the leg of a pig.
- Hamburger: A slice of beef sandwiched in a bun with various vegetables and condiments.
- Hangtown Fry: An omelette dish of eggs and bacon.
- Hash: A dish of chopped meat, potatoes and fried onions.
- Hazelnut: A nut produced by a variety of trees in the genus Corylus.
- Herbs: The dried leaves of plants used for flavoring, medicine and as seasonings.
- Herring: A small fish found in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, as well as Europe’s Baltic Sea.
- Hominy: A Native American dish made from dried corn kernels.
- Honey: A sweet liquid produced by bees from the nectar of flowers.
- Honeydew Melon: A cantaloupe-like melon with a succulent rind and sweet flesh.
- Horseradish: A perennial plant originally from the Eurasian countries that is used in cooking.
- Hot Dog: A sausage served in a bun.
- Hot Sauce: A sauce made with chile peppers.
British Foods Beginning with H
- Haggis: A Scottish delicacy consisting of sheep’s offal mixed with suet, oatmeal and seasoning, and cooked while wrapped in the animal’s stomach.
European Foods Beginning with H
- Hollandaise: [French] A sauce made from butter, egg yolks and lemon juice.
Mexican Foods Beginning with H
- Huevos Rancheros: A dish of fried eggs on a tortilla.
Oriental Foods Beginning with H
- Hainanese Chicken Rice: A dish of poached chicken and seasoned rice.
- Ho Mok Pla: A traditional seafood curry dish of Thailand.
- Holy Basil: An herb of the same name that is cultivated in Southeast Asia and used for food, medicine and as a seasoning.
- Hot Pot: A Chinese cuisine that consists of a simmering pot of soup stock at the dining table. Ingredients are cooked at the table.
Middle Eastern Foods Beginning with H
- Halloumi : A cheese made from sheep or goat milk with a firm texture.
- Halva: a sweet prepared from semolina, flour, sugar and clarified butter.
- Hummus: a dip made from mashed chickpeas, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and tahini.
African Foods Beginning with H
- Hertzoggie: [South African] A jam-filled pastry with a coconut topping.
- Himbasha: [Ethiopian and Eritrean] A type of bread made from ground cardamom seeds.