The letter G is the seventh letter of the English alphabet. Here is a list of foods that begin with the letter G, along with their definitions.
Common Foods Beginning with G
- Garlic: A culinary herb that is the edible bulb of a plant of the onion genus.
- Gelatin: A flavorless and colorless thickening agent used in various foods, made from animal byproducts.
- Ginger: The spicy root or rhizome of a plant of the ginger family.
- Gingerbread: Baked good flavored with ginger, usually containing molasses or brown sugar.
- Gooseberries: The fruit of a plant in the genus Ribes.
- Goulash: A soup or stew made from meat, onions, paprika and other sprices.
- Grain: The edible seeds of plants such as wheat and oats.
- Granola: A mixture of rolled oats and other ingredients, such as nuts, honey and dried fruit, baked in a pan.
- Granular sugar: A hard sugar.
- Grape: The fruit of the vine Vitis vinifera.
- Grapefruit: Fruit from a tree of the genus Citrus.
- Gravy: A thick liquid made from meat or poultry drippings.
- Green Bean: The edible pods of a plant of the genus Phaseolus.
- Green Onions: A plant of the genus Allium.
- Green Tea: Any tea made from Camellia sinensis leaves or twigs.
- Groundnut: The edible seeds of the Arachis hypogaea.
- Grubs: The larva of insects, especially those of beetles and moths.
- Guava: The fruit of the tree Psidium guajava.
- Gumbo: A soup or stew made from ingredients such as meat, fish, okra, onions and lima beans.
European Foods Beginning with G
- Gelato: [Italian] a frozen dessert with a less creamy texture than ice cream.
- Gnocchi: [Italian] small, round, soft dumplings typically made from potatoes or semolina.
- Gouda Cheese: [Dutch] A type of cheese named after the Dutch city of Gouda, Netherlands, which is made with cow’s milk and aged between four and thirty months.
Mexican Foods Beginning with G
- Gordita: A tortilla-like hamburger bun filled with beans, cheese, meat or vegetables.
- Guacamole: A dip made from avocados, often with tomatoes, onions and cilantro.
Indian Foods Beginning with G
- Garam Masala: A fiery blend of ground spices including black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
- Ghee: Clarified butter, from which the milk solids have been skimmed off.
African Foods Beginning with G
- Garri: [West African] A sweet-tasting, slightly sticky bread made from cassava and dried grains.
- Genfo / Ga’at: [Ethiopian and Eritrean] A thick porridge made from barley flour.
- Gored Gored: [Ethiopian and Eritrean] A dish of cubed, raw beef.