The letter D is the fourth letter of the English alphabet. Here is a list of foods that begin with the letter D, along with their definitions.
Common Foods Beginning with D
- Dairy: An animal milk-based product, such as cheese or butter.
- Dandelion Greens: The leaves of the dandelion plant used as a herb.
- Danish Pastry: A pastry of layered pastry or dough filled with cream cheese frosting and sprinkled with sugar.
- Dates: Dried fruits of the date palm tree.
- Dessert: A food served after a meal, consisting of sweet or savory dishes.
- Deviled Crab: A crab meat croquette.
- Deviled Egg: Eggs that are hard boiled, cut in half, and have fillings added.
- Dill: A herb with a strong, pungent taste.
- Dip: A spread, purée, or sauce served to add flavor.
- Dough: A thick mixture made of flour, water, and sometimes other ingredients.
- Doughnut: A pastry round with a hole in the middle and often coated with sugar.
- Dragonfruit: A tropical plant that produces a fruit with red skin and white spines.
- Dressings: A sauce or mixture of ingredients used to enhance the flavor of food.
- Dried Fruits: Fruits from which the original water content has been removed.
- Duck: Any of numerous species of waterfowl.
- Durian: A tropical fruit with a large, green-brown shell covered in thorny spikes and spines.
European Foods Beginning with D
- Daube: [French] A braised meat dish involving beef or lamb cooked in red wine.
- Dauphinois: [French] A potato and cheese dish.
Indian Foods Beginning with D
- Dal: A dish made by boiling split peas, lentils or beans to create a thick, stew-like mixture.
- Dosa: A thin, crispy, pancake made from fermented rice and lentils. Popular in the south of India.
Oriental Foods Beginning with D
- Daikon: Japanese radish, often used as a garnish in soups or fried.
- Dim Sum: Chinese dumplings that are often served as an appetizer.
- Dumpling: A steamed or baked food generally made of flour and steamed or boiled and then stuffed with meat or vegetables.
Middle Eastern Foods Beginning with D
- Dolma: Stuffed vegetables or grape leaves.
- Dukka: A spice mixture which may include parsley, cumin, coriander seed, garlic and sumac.
African Foods Beginning with D
- Delele: A dish made from okra.
- Draw Soup: [Nigerian] A soup made from a variety of meats.
- Droëwors: [South African] A dried sausage that comes in a variety of flavors.