The letter B is the second letter of the English alphabet. Here is a list of foods that begin with the letter B, along with their definitions.
Common Foods Beginning with B
- Bacon: A form of cured and unsmoked pork, usually cut into strips. Often eaten fried.
- Bagel: A bread of Jewish origin consisting of a small, sweet roll made with wheat flour and formed into the shape of a circle.
- Baked Beans: A dish of white beans baked in sauce.
- Baked Potato: A potato that has been baked in its own skin, usually in an oven.
- Bamboo Shoots: The edible shoots of bamboo plants.
- Banana: A fruit from plants of the genus Musa.
- Barbecue: Food cooked on an open fire with coal or wood smoke.
- Barley: A type of cereal grain.
- Basil: An herb used for seasoning.
- Batter: A mixture of flour and liquid, usually with added eggs. Often used for frying foods.
- Beancurd: A food made from mashed soya beans. Also known as ‘tofu’.
- Beans: A group of legumes commonly eaten as a food.
- Beef: The meat of a cow, bull, or ox.
- Beefsteak: A steak cut from the meat of a cow.
- Beet: A purple-coloured vegetable.
- Bell Pepper: A pepper which is red, green, yellow, orange or purple in color.
- Berry: A small fruit that grows on a shrub and is edible.
- Biscuit: A dry cake that has been baked and can be broken into small pieces.
- Black-Eyed Peas: A legume that grows in pods.
- Blackberry: A type of berry with a black color.
- Blackcurrant: A small, tart, dark red fruit with seeds on the inside.
- Blueberry: A berry with a blue-grey color.
- Bone marrow: The soft, fatty substance found inside bones of animals. It is usually roasted or cooked as a meal in its own right.
- Boniato: A kind of sweet potato.
- Borracho Beans: A dish of beans cooked in a spicy sauce.
- Bouillon: A soup stock made by boiling meat or vegetables in water.
- Boysenberry: A hybrid berry that is larger than a red raspberry and smaller than a blackberry.
- Bran: The hard outer layer of cereal grain.
- Bread: A food made from a mixture of flour and water. Usually baked until hard with a crust.
- Brisket: Met cut from a cow’s chest, from the area between the ribs and under the neck.
- Broccoli: A vegetable consisting of a head of small flower buds.
- Brown Rice: A type of rice with a brown color.
- Brownie: A type of small, square chocolate cake.
- Brussels Sprouts: A vegetable that grows in a small, round shape.
- Buckwheat: A plant with seeds that are eaten as food.
- Buffalo Wing: A food consisting of chicken wings coated in hot sauce.
- Bulgur: Wheat grains which have been steamed, dried and crushed.
- Bun: A small, soft, round bread roll.
- Burger: A sandwich consisting of a cooked patty of ground seasoned beef served on a bun.
- Butter: A dairy product made from the fat of milk or cream.
British Foods Beginning with B
- Bangers And Mash: A traditional Sunday dinner dish of sausages, mashed potatoes and gravy.
- Black Pudding: A sausage made from blood, fat and oatmeal.
- Bread And Butter Pudding: A pudding made of bread and milk with raisins.
European Foods Beginning with B
- Beef Bourguignon: [French] A stew of beef with onions, mushrooms, and red wine.
- Bisque: [French] A creamy, smooth soup made from shellfish.
- Bouillabaisse: [French] A fish stew.
- Bruschetta: [Italian] Thin slices of crusty bread toasted lightly on one side and rubbed with garlic.
Mexican Foods Beginning with B
- Burrito: Tortilla filled with typical Mexican food, stewed meat, rice, beans or other ingredients mixed together.
Indian Foods Beginning with B
- Bhaji: A variety of vegetable dishes, fried in batter and sometimes prepared with curry sauce, served with rice or flat bread.
- Biryani: A rice dish cooked with spices and sometimes meat or poultry in a spicy gravy and served with raita.
Oriental Foods Beginning with B
- Bean Sprouts: A sprout which is harvested from the mung bean. The green sprouts are used in stir fries, soups or as a garnish.
- Bok choy: Leafy vegetable with thick white stalks and light green tops.
Middle Eastern Foods Beginning with B
- Baba Ganoush: An eggplant purée, usually served with pita or flat bread.
- Baklava: A flaky pasty filled with chopped nuts and sweetened with syrup or honey.
African Foods Beginning with B
- Bobotie: [South African] A casserole dish containing miced meat, spices, and egg yolk.
- Boerewors: [South African] A sausage spiced with coriander and pepper.